Thursday, February 17, 2011

Immeasurably More (part 2)

So I know this is the second post in less than a 24 hr period, but I HAVE to tell you what's happening right now!!

What I shared in the last post is just the story that leads up to this one. This post, this is what I REALLY wanted to share. But God had other plans. :) Anyway, as you already read in the last post, God has been speaking to me through Ephesians 3:20, "Now to Him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine according to His power that is at work in us." Well, if you've also read my other posts, you also know that I have set "targets" on people. Setting a target on someone just means I am praying for and believing they will come to believe and know Jesus Christ as their Savior. Seeing that young teen get saved last week got me so excited and pumped for what God is going (and is doing) to do, cause I know it's HUGE. But seeing that girl get saved made me bolder too.

So I have set a target on a third person's back. (we'll call her Kim) Until now, I haven't been putting a whole lot of focus and energy into believing for her to be saved. What's weird/cool is that since December, I've known by the Holy Spirit, that God would get a hold of Kim's life through REC.

Two weeks ago we exchanged numbers and have been chatting every now and then...mostly about wanting to meet in person and hangout. Recently, we've also been talking more at work. I know she believes Jesus is real. But I don't know anything else other than that. So after becoming bold, I invited Kim to church this next Sunday. She said she's definitely going to try but she wants to check us out on our website first.

The same night I invited her, I went home and was playing worship songs trying to figure out the last song I wanted to do for the weekend. I started to play, "At Your Cross" and like usual, I just started worshipping God. Oh man, it's hard to explain or remember how it began, but I felt a big pull from God in that moment to pray in tongues. Somewhere in the middle of praying, I thought about Kim. Then something happened that I've never experienced before, I was weeping over her. Such a strong compassion was just overwhelmed me. The reality that she is lost and desperately needs Jesus sunk into my heart. I strongly believe that God was sharing with me a taste of how He feels for her; His deep love for her. I've never prayed so passionately for someone I know to be saved before.

I looked over at Ephesians's 3:20 taped to my front door and I started praying out loud for Kim and that she'll come to church. "God she's yours! You have your sights on her. Bring her to You, God. Show her Your amazing love and how desperately she needs You. God, she WILL come to church this weekend. All excuses will run out." My faith got so stirred as I repeated "To Him who is able to do IMMEASURABLY more than all we ask or imagine" over and over in my mind. So I said, "God, You can do immeasurably more than I ask or imagine. Well, I ask that Kim come to church this weekend. but not only that, I ask that she gets saved this weekend. I believe it. I believe it will happen because I know what You're capable of. It's up to You to do immeasurably more than what I'm imagining."

I started visualizing where my faith was at and pictured her being in the church after service, crying; just broken because God's love broke through to her. Oh just imagining that brought me so so much joy!!

The story isn't over yet cause of course there's immeasurably more! Haha. After I was done praying for Kim, another of my targets became heavy on my heart. (let's call her Susan) Susan is my Mormon friend. She has had (and still has) a tough life. You can tell that she's constantly weighed down by worry and burned out. Well, we've become friends over the last few months. She and I are trusting each other more and more. She gives me rides home usually a couple times a week and almost always we talk about something serious during the car ride. Recently she lost a baby nephew and the grief that she's going through is SO painful to see. Needless to say, I started crying over her as well. I already have compassion for Susan, but oh man! I felt it so much more in that moment. I prayed saying, "God she's Yours! You want HER! God call her to You. Show her that You love her and want her. Call her by name and draw her close to You. She needs You."

I sang the chorus to "Consume Me Now" which says, "From the depths of my soul, I need You. My heart it calls, I love You. I lift up my heart and I say, consume me now. Consume me now." So I worshipped to that for a little bit, keeping Kim and Susan on my heart while I sang it.

What was weird was that I thought about my other target that I've had for a while and the same strong compassion didn't come up. Don't get me wrong! I have compassion on her, but no crying or deep pain for her. I DID have a realization though...the key to this particular target's heart is through her daughter. And my compassion for her teenage daughter is gradually growing and growing.

So here's the immeasurably more part! Last night Susan gave me a ride home and on the way home I asked her if she would come to church this weekend. She told me that waking up her kids that early can be a challenge when she's doing it all by herself. (she has a baby boy and a three-year-old girl) "But," she said, "I definitely will make an effort." I handed her one of our sermon cards (has the current series on one side and the church info on the other) and told her what it would mean to me if she came. As I was getting outside the car I told her, "Don't feel bad if you can't make it. I understand." She responded, "No, I am going to try and come. In fact, for now, count on me being there." Oh I got the biggest smile on my face!! I told her, "Oh it would mean so much if you came!"

I walked to my door and just before I closed it, I looked back at her. The car light was still on and she was reading the card I gave her with extreme interest. AHHH!!!! I closed the door and started thanking God!!

Do you realize what this means!?! TWO!! TWO of my targets are coming this weekend!! And I'm putting my faith out there and calling them both saved this next Sunday!! God is going to move this next weekend. He won't disappoint because there are (at least) TWO women that will be there who He's going to forever change their lives! AHH!!! Praise God!

Okay, so a switch in gears. A little bit ago, I posted this on Facebook, "When leading worship, someone's soul is more important than another's approval. And fear cannot be present in the presence of God." I posted this right after I got done praying for Kim and Susan. What brought it up was I struggle during worship sometimes because my focus becomes, "I need to prove I'm a good worship leader." Whether that be because last week I messed up or because there's a friend visiting for the first time or because I'm in front of a new crowd of people, that thought always creeps in and threatens to take my focus off following God's Spirit and onto making a moving worship time because I want approval. One of my favorite verses is Galations 1:10, "Am I now trying to win the approval of man, or of God? Or am I trying to please man? If I were still trying to please man, then I would not be a servant of Christ." This verse always keeps my motives in check. Another things that creeps in at times is the fear that I will mess up or do something wrong and ruin worship. So whenever I'm afraid, I remind myself, "Perfect love drives out fear." (1 John 4:18)

When I was praying for Kim and Susan, my love for them grew SO much!! Their souls became more important than someone else's approval. Then it suddenly sank in...why would I worry about approval when someone's soul is at stake? Why would I get my focus onto myself and be so selfish? There are people in the crowd that need Jesus!! THAT is more important than ANYTHING else. I cannot afford to get my focus off God during worship as He's leading me and telling me where to go and what to do just because I'm afraid of what people will think if I go for it. "Perfect love drives out fear." My love for people needs to be perfect as God's love is perfect so that I can confidently lead them into the presence of God without a hint of fear!! It's the same for anyone who is ministering. Your heart for who you're ministering to MUST be of love for them or fear and doubt will creep in and you will be rendered ineffective in that moment because your focus changed from them to you. If you have a problem with being afraid, ask God to either show His perfect love for you or for His people. If you're afraid to trust God, you need to realize that His love for you is perfect. If you're afraid to serve God, you need to ask God to show you His heart for His people and the lost so that His love will be made perfect in you. Then their NEED will be WAY more important than your "need" for approval.

Amen! I think I'll end on that. Love you all! Be bold and be blessed.
          Becca

2 comments:

  1. Hey Becca, first of all I want to say I miss your posting! You should really write something again :). That being said, I recently got nominated by a blogger for an award called the sunshine award and then I am supposed to nominate more bloggers so I nominated you. I am really encouraged by your posts and stories of how God is teaching you through the challenges of living in a new place on your own.

    You can see the award and description at my blog http://martureo77.blogspot.com/2011/06/sunshine-award.html

    ReplyDelete