Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Life and Death

“The tongue can bring death or life; those who love to talk will reap the consequences.”
Proverbs 18:21

This is a subject God started talking to me about last March. One day I was laying in my bed just letting my mind wander and the Holy Spirit just dropped a life-changing revelation in my lap. But I need to give some back-story to help explain:

There have been a few times when I’ll meet a guy and we’ll just be able to build a friendship right away; there’s just an instant connection that’s not really explainable…to me anyway. But other people will notice and they’ll come up to me and say, “Hey! I saw you and Travis the other day! Do you guys like each other?” Then they’ll wink at me and nudge my arm. “No,” I’d reply, “we’re just friends.” There’s one occasion where I called my family, talked about how I was doing and then mentioned a guy that I just met and how he and I connected right away. Oh man, you should have heard the response. “Oh! Is he cute?? What’s he look like? What does he do? Do you like him? You go Becca!” I just turned red in embarrassment. But what’s interesting is that in this case, I didn’t let myself think about liking him until they went off on that tangent. What they said planted a thought in my mind, “Do I like him?” Then I started talking to people about it. I wasn’t really attracted to the guy in that way, but because that looming question was in my head, I got caught in more situations where people we telling me, “Yea, you two were totally flirting!” Or…“I don’t know what it was, but you two definitely had an instant connection. Who knows where it might lead!” And in a blink of an eye, I was swooning over some guy.

A couple months later, God told me to cut off all connection with him. I didn’t understand…I thought he could be the one! Nope. What God wanted from the relationship was just a friendship. It took months to change how I felt towards this guy so that I was back in the place where I just wanted to be friends. I ended up being distracted by a guy who was supposed to just be a friend for 3 months. And who knows if I ruined the friendship with my girly clinginess and flirting? As of right now, we don’t talk.

So how did it go so wrong? How did I go from just wanting a friendship, to wanting a relationship?

“Life and death are in the power of the tongue…”

What the Holy Spirit dropped on my heart that day was, “Our words can breathe life into obstacles, distractions and enemies that want to take us out.” He went on to show me, that with that guy, the enemy tried to get me to focus on wanting a relationship with that guy by planting the thought in my mind. But I had conquered that thought and chose to only want to be his friend. That is, until my family breathed life into a distraction with their words and I fed it as I talk about it to other people. My family, friends and I talked about it and continued to give strength to this distraction until finally it had control over me! Scary!

Then the Holy Spirit reminded me how God gave life to all creation with just His words! God just spoke and it formed, created and breathed life into everything we see. (see Genesis 1:1-24) He continued to show me, that God first thought of what He was to create. But His thoughts did not create the universe; His words did. Now, as God’s creation, created in His image, with His Spirit alive in us, WE can create and breath life into anything with just our words! We can create enemies for ourselves just by talking about it. We can give our enemies strength with just our words! I don’t know about you, but I never knew that I had this much power. I’ve been breathing life into obstacles and enemies for my own life since I came into this world! I’ve had to fight battles and conquer enemies that I created with MY OWN WORDS!

The Holy Spirit continued to show me that when I’m battling something in my thought life, it is MUCH easier to defeat because it’s that, just a thought. But the moment I confess my battle or struggle it instantly breathes life into an enemy for myself. Words have more life than your thoughts. But thoughts can also be powerful because if we think about something enough, we WILL eventually speak about it or act on it. That’s why it says in Ephesians 4:23, “Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes.”

Just by keeping a battle you’re struggling with in your thought life, you are holding back an enemy! But here’s where it gets REAL good: you can breathe life into God and into yourself without breathing life into your enemy. You can make God’s power more alive and active in your life just with your words!

For example: the devil could plant the thought, “you are useless” in my mind. How I could counteract that is by saying out loud, “I am beautifully and wonderfully made! God has a plan for my life. I am chosen and called by God to do His will. I am treasured, cherished and loved by the Most High God!” I don’t know about you, but for me, I just see that lie the devil planted getting smaller and smaller until I stomp it out just by giving life to God’s truth in my life by using my words!

My devotion this morning talked about this very thing. Rick Renner (a very respected theologian) wrote, “I know it’s hard to control your mouth sometimes, but when you start to ‘run at the mouth’ and say any ‘ol thing the devil puts in your head, you’re playing with fire! It is a scientific fact that when you speak something out loud, those words are verified and empowered in your mind. That’s why the devil wants you to repeat every stupid thing he puts in your mind. By repeating it out loud, you are helping him build a stronghold in the realm of your mind and imagination.”

So let’s take every thought captive. I don’t want to give life to ANYTHING that wants to take me out. NO!! I want to give life to God’s POWER alive inside of me! Let us make the decision to use our words as a weapon against the enemy. If you feel like you don’t know what to say when the devil has planted a lie in your head, go to the Bible. The best thing you can confess is God’s Word and there’s something in there for EVERY attack and lie.

Love you all! Hope this challenges you and changes you as much as it has changed me.

~Becca




1 comment:

  1. A gift is now delivered and proven to the whole world as a witness. Satan has deceived the whole world until the woman of Rev 12 delivers the true word of God. I am not a church, nor Mary, nor Israel. I am the prophet like unto Moses Num 12:3 raised up of my brethren Acts 3:21-23 proving the power of God in the spirit of Elijah Matt 17:3, Luke 1:17 to restore Matt 17:11 the true word John 1:1 from the wilderness Rev 12:6 to prepare a people. God our true Father will not put any child of his into a hell fire no matter what their sins, no matter if they repent in this life or not. It never entered the heart or mind of God to ever do such a thing Jer7:31, Jer 19:5. Turn your heart to the children of God. Begin here http://thegoodtale.wordpress.com. The proof is in the hearing; prove all things, God chose a woman.

    ReplyDelete